Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, plans to represent himself when he stands trial for the shootings that killed 50 on Friday.
There are fears the self-confessed white supremacist, who referenced Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik in his ‘manifesto’, could use the legal process to espouse extremist views.
Ms Ardern, who opened parliament on Tuesday with a Muslim prayer, said efforts should be made to prevent giving the gunman the attention he wanted.
He is a terrorist. He is a criminal. He is an extremist. But he will, when I speak, be nameless, she said.
He obviously had a range or reasons for committing this atrocious terrorist attacks. Lifting his profile was one them and that’s something we can absolutely deny him, she said. One thing I can assure you, you won’t hear me speak his name.
Earlier on Tuesday, Ms Ardern told reporters that she would do everything in her power to deny him a platform for his racist views.
In an impassioned speech in parliament, she called for heroes and the deceased to be spoken of, rather than the gunman.
The video prompted widespread revulsion and condemnation by lawmakers and members of the public. Facebook said it removed 1.5 million videos of the shootings during the first 24 hours after the massacre.
But on Tuesday, Ardern expressed frustration that the video remained available online, four days after the attack.
A judge ordered Tarrant to return to New Zealand’s High Court on April 5 for his next hearing on one count of murder, though he is expected to face additional charges. He is being held in isolation in a Christchurch jail.