The terror suspect accused of slashing a man with a knife on the London Underground was reported to police by his own family three weeks before the incident, it has been reported.
Scotland Yard said it had been involved with a family member before Mire allegedly shouted “this is for Syria” during the gory incident, but insisted “there was no mention of radicalisation”, according to the Telegraph.
A statement from the police force said: “The police were contacted by a family member approximately three weeks before the incident on Saturday.
“The conversation related entirely to health related issues and the family were therefore correctly referred to health services for help.”
Mire’s brother Mohamed, who appeared on Channel 4 News last night, said his brother grew up in Camden as ‘a good boy’ who supported Manchester United.
However, he revealed his brother fell in with the wrong crowd and suffered mental health problems – including paranoia – following a period of cannabis use. He was on a hospital ward for three months in 2007 and the family had recently asked for him to be sectioned.
“He was saying odd things, talking nonsense and saying that he was seeing demons,” Mohamed told C4 News.
“The local authority couldn’t help him because they said he was no harm to people and no harm to himself.”
Mohamed also revealed that his brother, a former Uber driver, was due to fly to Somalia the night after the attack to be with his mother in the hope his mental health would improve.
Muhaydin Mire, 29, of Sansom Road, East London, appeared in the dock at Westminster Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with the attempted murder of a 56-year-old man.
Mire arrived at court in a prison van amid high security.
Police were called to Leytonstone Underground Station at around 7pm on Saturday night following reports a man had been stabbed.
The 56-year-old victim is alleged to have suffered a 12cm cut to the throat and underwent five hours of surgery.
It is also claimed Mire brandished the knife towards other members of the public.
British Transport Police has drafted extra officers to patrol the nation’s transport networks following the incident.
BTP announced police dogs would also be used to keep the public safe and crack down on any potential threats.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Newton of British Transport Police, said: “The safety of the travelling public remains our top priority.
“Following the incident on Saturday night, we are now deploying still more officers in this role.
“They involve both uniformed and plain-clothed officers, supported by other resources, such as armed officers, police dogs, a network of CCTV cameras, and the thousands of rail staff we work alongside.”