Prince Harry’s girlfriend Meghan Markle opened up about receiving terrifying death threats earlier this year.
The Suits actress has been thrust into the global spotlight after the royal confirmed their budding relationship earlier this week, but during a conversation with Piers Morgan earlier this year, the star revealed that she’s dealt with scary times due to her job.
Meghan was on a visit to London in June, and spoke to Good Morning Britain’s Piers in a London pub after spending a day in the Royal box at Wimbledon.
In a recent statement, Harry hit out at the “abuse and harassment” that his girlfriend had suffered since their relationship came to light.
In her conversation with Piers, Meghan reportedly revealed other scary times she had faced because of her character Rachel Zane in the hit US show Suits, when she cheated on her boyfriend.
“People wanted to kill me! Not Rachel… ME,” she reportedly said.
“I never knew there were so many emojis with guns and knives. It was very unpleasant. Fortunately, Rachel got back on her pedestal and it stopped.”
Meghan also revealed one of her life mantras to Piers, as she said: “My mantra is, ‘Don’t give it five minutes if you’re not going to give it five years’.”
Back in June, Meghan revealed that she had just gone through a break-up and was finding her feet as a single woman.
“I’m recently single again, so I’ve got a few guys being a little… persistent! I’m just out of practice with the dating scene,” she reportedly said after reading a cheeky text message.
In his statement Harry blasted the “the racial undertones of comment pieces” this week, and her heritage is something that Meghan is very conscious of, according to Piers, as she openly discussed growing up mixed-race in America.
“My dad’s Caucasian, my mother’s African-American, so I’m half-white, half-black. It caused me a lot of confusion when I was young because it’s not easy to be ethnically ambiguous in America.” she said.
“But I learned to embrace being a mixed-race woman.”
1/4 SLIDES © Provided by Mirror
Actress Meghan Markle
On Tuesday Prince Harry took the unprecedented step of releasing a public statement confirming that actress Meghan Markle was his “girlfriend” and that they were indeed in a “relationship”.
Attacking the press over what he labelled a “wave of abuse” he revealed that he had never before witnessed such a “degree of pressure, scrutiny and harassment” and now feared for the safety of Meghan and her family.
Feeling that he had seen “a line crossed” with physical intrusion into the 35-year-old actress’ home in Toronto and “racial undertones of comment pieces” the fourth in line to the throne said he felt the need to bite back.
© Provided by Mirror Prince Harry says he is “disappointed” that he hasn’t been able to… However, the statement has already received a comeback from several media outlets, with the Sun telling Harry to “get real” and the Daily Mail arguing that his public status “comes at a price”.
Kensington Palace has fully backed the 32-year-old prince, who was particularly upset by what he called a “smear” in the Sun.
The frontpage piece drew attention to the inclusion of clips from the American drama Suits (in which the actress stars) which had been posted to the website Pornhub.
In their defence of the heir to the throne, a Palace source has re-iterated that Harry made the statement to protect Meghan rather than himself.
And despite the pushback from the press, advisors to the prince have said it was important to Harry to make his views known and that it was very much what he wanted to do.
The modern approach of putting a direct statement directly onto the royal family ‘s Facebook page has met with much interest from public and press alike, with the post being shared more than 11,000 times.
Bookies have now cut the odds on a royal wedding next year to 3/1.