Sunday, December 5

UK heatwave death toll rises



Six people have now died during our searing heatwave – as thousands of Brits flock to the water to cool down from the blistering heat.

A man was confirmed dead after being rescued from the sea off the Isle of Wight yesterday.

This came shortly after another man’s body was pulled from the water in Scotland.

The men are the fifth and sixth people to die in just two days during our scorching weather. Emergency crews scrambled to Bothwell at around 10pm last night after receiving reports of two men in the River Clyde.

One man managed to climb to safety but tragically a 30-year-old man could not be found, reports Glasgow Live .
His body was recovered by divers in the early hours of this morning.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “At 10.10pm emergency services responded to a report of two men in the River Clyde at Blantyre Mill Road, Bothwell.

“One of the men managed to get out of the water by himself and did not require medical treatment.

“At 3am divers recovered the body of a 30-year-old man from the river.

“The death is being treated as non-suspicious.”

A 63-year-old man also died after being pulled from the water off the coast of Yaverland, Isle of Wight, after getting into difficulty in the water at around 6.30pm.

Ventnor and Bembridge coastguards rushed to his aid and pulled him from the water at the popular tourist beach.

He was rushed to St Mary’s Hospital in Newport where he tragically died.

Their deaths come after yesterday afternoon.

He was taken ashore and treated by paramedics after reports of a man seen in trouble in the rough seas on Friday.

It follows the at Anstey’s Cove in Torquay, and a 12-year-old girl, named as Shukri Yahya Abdi , who drowned in a river in Greater Manchester the previous day.

A Devon and Cornwall police spokesman said: “Police were called to Prussia Cove near Penzance around 1.05pm following reports that a man had got into difficulty in the sea.

“He was recovered from the water by a lifeguard and treated by ambulance.

“He was taken to Praa Sands and was sadly confirmed deceased a short time later.”

He has not been named as next of kin are being traced following Friday’s incident.

Lifeboats from Penlee and coastguard rescue teams went to the scene after multiple calls were made to 999 after the man was seen in trouble in the rough seas.

And in other incidents around the south Devon coast a teenage girl was airlifted to hospital from Sidmouth beach after suffering a suspected heart attack.

Police are investigating whether the men had been ‘tombstoning’ – where thrillseekers plunge into the sea from cliffs or walls – before they were pulled from the sea.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said on Friday: “Two men have died following an incident off Torquay yesterday.

“Police were called by the coastguard at around 2pm with reports that two bodies had been pulled from the water near Babbacombe Beach by the RNLI lifeboat.

“Emergency services including ambulance, police and HM Coastguard attended the scene where the men were brought to shore and taken to Torbay Hospital.