Sunday, December 5

Two members of public die after London Bridge rampage


 

 

Two members of the public have been killed in the London Bridge terror attack, sources have said.

Police confirmed earlier today that a suspect had been shot dead by officers during the response to the incident.

It said that a number of people had been stabbed and that it was awaiting updates on their conditions.

Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, said earlier that some had been injured seriously.

The London Ambulance Service declared it a major incident and one picture on social media appeared to show a body covered with a blanket.

Sources have now told the BBC that two members of the public have died.

Several people were stabbed by the knifeman before he was grappled to the ground and disarmed by members of the public on London Bridge.

Footage on social media showed one man being urged to move away by armed officers before the suspect was shot at point-blank range.

Another bystander could be seen carrying a large knife from the scene.

The members of the public who intervened have been widely praised, with Mayor of London Sadiq Khan hailing their breathtaking heroism and Prime Minister Boris Johnson their extraordinary bravery.

Eye-witnesses said the suspect appeared to be wearing a suicide vest but Neil Basu, the head of UK counter-terrorism policing, said the vest was a fake.

He said police were called at around 2pm on Friday to a stabbing at a premises near London Bridge.

The bridge was the scene of a terror attack in 2017 also during a general election campaign when eight victims were killed along with the three terrorists, who were also wearing fake suicide vests and armed with knives.​