Wednesday, January 19

Brussels bomb suspect Najim Laachraoui still on the run


 

 

Brussels bomb suspect in CCTV shot Brussels bomb suspect Najim Laachraoui is still on the run after the blasts which killed at least 34 people and left around 200 injured, including four Britons.

An arrest in connection with the terror attack has reportedly been made in the Anderlecht suburb of Brussels, but local media reports that Laachraoui had been detained were later withdrawn.

The 24-year-old, who has been linked to the atrocities in Paris five months ago, is believed to have accompanied brothers Brahim and Khalid El Bakraoui to Zaventem Airport on Tuesday, where they blew themselves up, killing 14 people.

An explosion an hour later on a train at Maelbeek Metro station killed a further 20 people and sent Brussels into lockdown.

Multiple explosions jolted Brussels, Belgium, on March 22, 2016, claiming more than 30 lives and injuring dozens. Tributes from all around the world are pouring in. (Pictured) The Eiffel Tower is lit up with black, yellow and red colors of the Belgian flag on March 22 in Paris, France.

Bomb maker Laachraoui is also suspected of having played a “decisive role” in the Paris terror attacks, French media has reported.

Laachraoui’s DNA was reportedly discovered on explosive belts found at the Bataclan theatre and the Stade de France following the killings in the French capital.

As it entered a second day of mourning, Belgium held a minute’s silence in memory of the victims.

The first confirmed fatality was mother-of-two Adelma Tapia Ruiz, 37, from Peru.

One Briton, David Dixon from Hartlepool, has been named as missing by his family who are said to be “desperately” searching for him.

Torch One time usage images Wanted CeMNvDmWwAA6BAQ Downing Street said it was concerned about a missing British national, adding that four Britons had been injured, three of whom were still in hospital.

Joining other world leaders in expressing their horror in the aftermath of the attacks, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh said they were “deeply shocked and saddened”.

IS has claimed responsibility for the latest attacks and issued a statement in Arabic and French which threatens other countries in the anti-IS coalition with “dark days”, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadi websites.