Thursday, January 20

Passengers warned tube strike in most Zone 1 stations will shut on Sunday 6pm


 

 

Tube passengers have been warned to prepare for a severely reduced service as talks aimed at averting a 24-hour London Underground strike were adjourned again.

There appears to be little sign of preventing the walk-out which will see most Zone 1 stations shut from 6pm on Sunday for 24 hours.

Commuters face chaos throughout Monday as key overground interchange stations will have no Underground connections, including Victoria, King’s Cross, Waterloo, Paddington, Euston, Bank and London Bridge.

Transport for London also said there will be no services at all on the Victoria and Waterloo & City lines should the strike go ahead.

Piccadilly line services will still run between Hammersmith and Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3, but not to Terminals 4 or 5, while there will be limited services in outer London.

Key overgorund interchange stations will have no Underground services

Buses are expected to much busier than usual, despite TfL deploying an extra 100.

The strike concerns a long running dispute over job losses and ticket office closures.

The TSSA and RMT unions met LU bosses today at conciliation service Acas but said no progress had been made, although the talks will resume on Friday.

RMT leader Mick Cash said: “Talks have broken up for the day without any significant moves towards a resolution.

“We will be back again tomorrow and we expect LU to come back with a radically improved package that fully covers the issues of jobs and safety at the heart of this dispute.

Meanwhile, final preparations for the planned industrial action from Sunday night are now in place and our members remain determined to secure a just settlement that protects services and safety across the Tube network.

Manuel Cortes, TSSA general secretary, said: Our negotiating team remains available for further talks throughout the weekend should they become necessary.

However, our 24-hour strike action on the Tube remains scheduled to begin at 6pm this Sunday.

TfL claimed it was committed to addressing recommendations in a recent report by London Travelwatch into the closure of ticket offices and has started working with the unions to review the staffing model and put more station staff roles back where needed.

Commuters cross the river Thames on the Millennium footbridge as a tube strike in August 2015

Steve Griffiths, London Underground’s chief operating officer, said: We have always committed to reviewing our new staffing model with our trade unions during its first year, and following the review by London TravelWatch we established a joint working group to undertake that review and make any changes necessary.

It is clear that some more staff for stations are needed. We have started to recruit them and will continue to work with the unions to implement the recommendations made in the review.

We believe that this will help us to provide a better service for our customers and ensure that they continue to feel safe, secure and able to access the right help while using our network.

We encourage the trade unions to continue working with us in order to resolve this dispute and deliver the customer service our customers expect.